Great HEAL Recipes
Chicken Orzo Soup
For homemade chicken stock recipe click here.
5 to 6 celery stalks and celery
leaves, sliced diagonally into 1-inch thick pieces (about 3
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally into 1-inch thick pieces (about 2 cups)
1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped (about 21/2 cups)
24 ounces picked leftover roasted chicken
5 to 6 fresh thyme sprigs
2 (8-inch) fresh rosemary sprigs
40 ounces chicken stock (view recipe)
1 (28-ounce) can whole, peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped
3 to 4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound ditalini or orzo pasta, cooked until al dente
1. Combine the celery, carrots, tomatoes and onions in a large 1-gallon stockpot.
2. Add the chicken stock.
3. Add thyme and rosemary. Season the broth mixture with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.
4. Bring the soup mixture to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat and simmer slowly for 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
5. Remove and discard the thyme and rosemary sprigs from the broth.
6. Taste and adjust the seasonings of the broth with salt and pepper, if needed, and cover to keep warm.
7. Place about 3 to 4 ounces of the chicken in each soup bowl.
8. Top each serving with about 1/2 cup of the cooked pasta in each bowl along with the chicken.
9. Ladle 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the reserved broth and vegetables over each bowl and serve immediately.