Great HEAL Recipes
Community Immunity Soup
By Susan Castleberry
*See HEAL website for homemade chicken stock recipe or use store-bought options
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 celery stalks (chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 10 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8 cups chicken stock*
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 (15 oz) can low sodium chickpeas (rinsed)
- 3 cups chicken (diced or shredded)
- 2 cups baby kale leaves
- In large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, celery, carrots. About 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, cook about 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock, bay leaves, and chickpeas. Add turmeric, crushed red pepper, sea salt.
- Bring to boil. Shred chicken, mix into liquid, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add kale, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Serve and enjoy!