HEAL United respects the privacy of each individual who contacts us. We are grateful for your support and the crucial role you play in helping us continue our valuable work. This Privacy Notice describes the types of personal information we collect about visitors to our website and social platforms and other individuals with whom we interact in connection with our charitable and fundraising activities, how we may use the personal information we collect, and with whom we may share it, and provides additional information concerning our personal information practices.
Personal Information that We Collect
HEAL United may collect the following categories of personal information about you when you visit our website and social platforms, contact us by mail or over the phone, or register for, participate in, or interact with us in connection with our events.
The types of personal information we may obtain include:
- Your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, and other contact information.
- Information about contributions you make to us, including amounts, payment card details, or other account information.
- Information about volunteer activities in which you are interested or engaged.
- Information you provide about other individuals such as their name, postal address, telephone number, email address, or other contact information.
- The geographic location of your computer system or mobile device from which you access our Sites.
- Username, password, and other access credentials used to access the Sites, where applicable (ie: Teacher’s Portal).
- Social media handles, content, and other data posted on our official social media pages or elsewhere on the Internet (such as other public locations), and information (such as email address and other information you allow to be shared) we obtain through HEAL-related social media apps, tools, widgets, and plug-ins.
We also may receive personal information about you from third parties, including public databases, social media platforms, or third-party partners such as analytics or marketing providers.
Automated Data Collection Technologies
When you visit our website or social platform, we may collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons. A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected devices to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages or apps to web servers and may be used to transmit information back to a web server. Through these automated collection methods, we obtain and store “clickstream” data.
The information we collect in this manner may include IP address, unique device identifier, browser characteristics, device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, information on actions taken, and dates and times of activity. We may link certain data elements we have collected through automated means, such as your browser information, with other information we have obtained about you to let us know, for example, whether you have opened an email we sent to you. We also may use third-party analytics tools that collect information about visitor traffic on our websites or apps.
Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all the features of our website. We may collect personal information about our visitors’ online activities, over time and across third-party websites, when using our website and social platforms.
How We Use the Personal Information We Collect
We may use information that we collect to:
- Establish and manage your HEAL membership
- Receive and process donations.
- Fulfill requests for volunteer opportunities.
- Coordinate gift memberships, including contacting recipients of gift memberships.
- Communicate with you about fundraising or volunteer opportunities or initiatives and share news and updates with you.
- Distribute and process voluntary surveys seeking feedback for quality and service improvement purposes.
- Communicate about, and administer your participation in, special events, programs, surveys and contests.
- Invite you to participate in programs (e.g., contests, sweepstakes, or promotions) that are sponsored by or co branded with identified third parties.
- Enable you to post on our blogs and interact with HEAL United through social media.
- Operate, evaluate and improve our organization (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; determining the effectiveness of our fundraising, marketing, and advertising; analyzing and enhancing our products, services, and website; protecting the security of our networks and information systems; performing accounting, auditing, invoicing and reconciliation activities; and improving and maintaining the quality of our customer service activities).
- Perform data analyses (including market research and analytics, trend analysis and profiling, financial analysis, and anonymization of personal information).
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activity, claims, and other liabilities.
- Comply with applicable laws and our policies.
We use information collected online through automated means for purposes such as (i) customizing our users’ visits to our website and social platforms, (ii) delivering content (including advertising) tailored to our users’ interests, and the manner in which our users browse our website and social platforms, and (iii) managing our business. We may supplement data we collect through automated means with information about your location to provide you with content that may be of interest to you.
We also use this information to help diagnose technical and service problems, administer our website and social platforms, identify users of our website and social platforms, and gather demographic information about our users. We use clickstream data to determine usage patterns and how we may tailor our website and social platforms to better meet the needs of our users.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We do not share personal information about you with third parties except as described in this Privacy Notice.
- From time to time, HEAL United may make personal information available to other nonprofit and commercial organizations whose services may be of interest to our supporters. Your name and address are only made available to these carefully screened organizations through third-party mailing agents for limited use. Our agreements with these organizations do not permit them to have continued access to your name and address unless you choose to respond to their initial mailing.
- We share personal information with third parties who perform services on our behalf. These third parties are not authorized by us to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements.
- We also may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena), (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.
- We reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our organization or assets to a third party (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
If you do not want us to share your personal information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes or if you do not wish to have your email address or other contact information used by us to promote our own or third parties’ goods or services, you can opt-out by sending us an email stating your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may collect information on our website and social platforms about your online activities for use in providing you with advertising about HEAL United events, activities and fundraising efforts tailored to your individual interests.|
How We Secure Your Data
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized access, disclosure or use. Although we have measures in place reasonably designed to protect against unauthorized access, the safety and security of your information also depends on you. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the website and social platforms.
Your Choices About How We Use and Share Your Information
You can opt-out from receiving communications from us for promotional or fundraising purposes or limit the types of promotional or fundraising communications we send by contacting us at email@example.com.
In addition, all HEAL United e-newsletters and direct email communications for promotional or fundraising purposes have easy-to-follow unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each communication.
We encourage children to participate in age-appropriate activities to promote healthier lives. Although the HEAL site allows children, with parental consent, to participate in certain activities through their schools and communities, we do not collect more information than is necessary to enable children to participate in these activities.
With parental consent, we may collect information from children under the age of 13 such as: name, address, email address, school, and content they create themselves. That information allows us to fulfill requested transactions, respond to questions about our website and programs, facilitate their participation in activities and other programs, keep records, or to otherwise customize or enhance the website experience for children. Children under the age of 13 may be able to make certain content, such as content they create themselves, visible to others or the public. This might include, for example, photos of themselves involved in our programs or other activities, or recipes.
Regardless of what is displayed or submitted, parents can revoke their consent, request that information about their children be hidden or, in some cases, deleted, by contacting our offices by phone at the number at the bottom of this page or via email. When a parent revokes consent, we will stop collecting, using or disclosing information from that child.
CCPA (California Consumer Privacy Act)
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request information about our disclosure of your personal information to third parties for those parties’ own direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send a letter to: HEAL United, PO Box 660827, Birmingham, AL 35266.
How to Contact Us
If you have questions or concerns, or would like to contact us for any other reason relating to you have any questions our personal information practices, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to:
PO Box 660827
Birmingham, AL 35266
Access & Correction
You may update certain personal information by emailing email@example.com.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to make changes to this Privacy Notice. We encourage you to review our Privacy Notice from time to time.
Effective Date: August 23, 2021.