Great HEAL Recipes
Eggplant Stuffed with Summer Vegetables
Recipe provided by Frank Stitt
- 2 eggplants, cut lengthwise in half
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 zucchini, 1 shredded, 1 finely diced
- 1 tomato, seeded, diced
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ bunch of parsley (optional)
- ½ bunch of basil (optional)
- Cut each eggplants lengthwise in half. Flesh out each eggplants half, leaving ¼ inch thick shells. Reserve shells.
- Sprinkle the inside of the shells with salt and invert on to a plant to let stand for 30 minutes. Dice the flesh and set aside.
- Preheat the oven 350º. Bake eggshells until softened, for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Leave oven on.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic, diced eggplants, and zucchini. After 3 minutes, add tomatoes, parsley, basil, and bread crumbs.
- Fill the eggplants with the vegetable stuffing. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.